Friday, April 27, 2012

Whats For Dinner? How About Some Good Memories

What qualifies food as a "comfort food"?  Taste?  Fat content? Chocolate content?  Or is it the memories associated with that particular food. 

Tonight as I was eating my delicious chicken fajita (one of my very favorite dinners), I started to think about some memories associated with chicken fajitas.  I had never had fajitas until I met Drew.  The first time I met his family- which was only about 7 days after we started dating- we had Fajitas. 

The first meal Drew cooked for me after we got married was Chicken fajitas- He surprised me with a warm dinner when I got home from work.

Also when we were first married, we had dinner with Carly and Mike at least twice a week.  One night we would cook at our house the next at theirs.  More often then naught, our go-to recipe was chicken fajitas.  There were lots of jokes and laughter at those meals.

We had fajitas twice when we went to the cabin last year.  That was the cabin trip that we picked up Benelli. 

When I was pregnant, we had fajitas almost every week.  It was the only thing that sounded good, besides for spaghetti.

This one is my favorite- The day we brought Jack home from the hospital, I sent Drew off to the store to get some food.  Guess what we had for dinner the next night?  Chicken Fajitas. 

I know this probably sounds very silly, and corny, but I cant help but smile when I think about these memories.  As weird as it is, chicken fajitas are one of my comfort foods.  I love them, and I love the man who introduced me to them. 

Chicken Fajitas:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow or orange pepper
1 red pepper
1 medium yellow onion
1 packed fajita mix
cheese
tortillas

slice chicken into thin strips then set aside.  Slice peppers into thin strips and cut onion into rings.  Toss veggies into the frying pan with olive oil for 5ish minutes, then put into a bowl.  Then cook the chicken till done in the same pan.  Then follow the directions on the fajita packet. (dont you love my recipe writing skills?)


 "The best memories are made when gathered around the table." :)

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE this post and completely agree; chicken fajitas always make me think of you two! i miss your bi-weekly dinners. hopefully they will resume someday.

    ReplyDelete